The mill of the Camandoule in Fayence (Var)

The mill of the Camandoule in Fayence (Var)

1. History
The mill has existed, in one form or another, since at least the fifteenth century. In fact, the aqueduct which
brings the water of the Camandoule to the mill, probably dates from Roman times. - ancient Roman tiles and
other artefacts were found when the foundations for the present swimming-pool were excavated. The
Camandoule turned the large wheel which you will see behind the glass in the entrance to the restaurant,
and then flowed away under what is now the terrace into the river Camandre. The suffix “doule” incidentally
is a Provencal diminutive; Camandoule therefore means, literally, “Little Camandre”.

Originally the mill was part of the village of Fayence, then in the plain and an important agricultural centre
under the protection of a Monsignor who had his residence there. When the conquering Arabs came in the
16th century, the villagers moved themselves and all their goods and chattels and houses up the hill to
build the town we can see today. Obviously, however, a water-mill can’t be moved up a moutain and had to
stay where it was.

In 1834 it was rebuilt nore or less as it is now. The date is engraved on one of the large stone-blocks around
the presses in the salon. These blocks, all cut to the same standard pattern and size, were imported from
Tuscany and can be seen in every oil-mill from Menton to Sète.

The Moulin de la Camandoule was in use until 1946 when Mr Tardieu, the last miller, died: - incidentally by
then one of the richest Landowners of the Var. His two elderly spinster daughters had no wish to keep the
mill going, and torwards the end of 1954 the Moulin was bought by a prominent local family called Coste
who kept it running until the "great frost" of 1957 killed off most of the olive trees and there were, of course,
no olives to turn into oil. Mr Coste then planted the fields with melons, apple and cherry trees and became
a fruit farmer, selling excellent produce to the local community until he retired in 1966.

From this date, the mill fell briefly into disuse, passing to a Belgian couple two years later who restored the
Salon and Restaurant and turned the rooms into an eleven bedroom hotel. All the original 19th century
machinery is its proper place and it is said that the mill could be made to function again in less than a
fortnight

The present owner, Shirley Rilla, bought the moulin in 1986 and completed the restauration which is as
she says, an ongoing project never to be finished. Which is why, so that the soul and spirit of the moulin will never be lost, she has now passed the torch to Nicholas Torremocha and Stephane Sauner, two childhood friends and valued old employees





ITALIAN

Il mulino esiste, di un modo o di un altro, dal diciasettesimo secolo. L'acquedotto che conduceva le acque del Camandoule al mulino ha probabilmente le sue origini del tempo dei romano. Delle anziane tegole sono state scoperte durante la costruzione della piscina. L'acqua trascinava la grande ruota ad alba, che si può distinguere dietro la finestra all'entrata del ristorante, era evacuata da un canale sotto il terrazzo in seguito e si gettava in il camandre. Il parola "doule" è un diminutivo provenzale: Camandoule significa piccolo Camandre.

All'origine, questo vecchio mulino faceva probabilmente parte di Fayence sotto la protezione di un Monsignor che risiedeva nel villaggio. All'arrivo dei conquistatori arabi al sedicesimo secolo, gli abitanti si rifugiarono sulla collina dove costruirono il villaggio che si vede oggi: ma è evidente che non si poteva spostare un mulino.
Nel 1834, fu ricostruito più o meno nella sua struttura attuale. La data è incisa su una delle grandi pietre nel salone. Queste pietre, parimenti taglia, erano importate da Toscana ed utilizzate in tutti i mulini, di Mento a Sète.

Il Mulino del Camandoule ha prodotto dell'olio fino alla morte del suo proprietario, M. Tardieu, in 1920; era uno dei più ricchi proprietari del Var. I suoi sorelle - due signore vecchie - non portavano di interesse al Mulino, e lo lasciarono cadere in desuetudine.

Quando M. e Sig.ra. Jean-Marc Snyers l'acquistarono nel 1969, era quasi una rovina e, durante parecchi anni, lavorarono a restaurarlo come al tempo della sua gloria vecchia, prima di aprirlo come hotel-ristorante nel 1972. Tutte le macine e le stampe - in breve tutto il macchinario del diciannovesimo secolo - sono in posto, e si dice che il mulino potrebbe funzionare di nuovo nei dieci giorni, se lo si desiderasse.

Shirley & Wolf Rilla, gli attuali proprietari da marzo 1986, non l'hanno provato ancora!

[ Read more ]

How it works and what it all means

How it works and what it all means

The ripe olives were shaken from the trees into nets on the ground and then put into large straw baskets
which were transported by oxen-cart to the mill. There they were off-loaded into wooden buckets with two
handles called Tinéon and stored in today’s guestroom called Tabatière. Two of these buckets,
incidentally, can be seen by the door of the room Ecurie - the old French word for stables where the miller’s
mules were kept..

Tabatière is actually the name of the wooden chute down which the olives were poured into the grinder.It
can be seen in the salon coming from the ceiling above which the present guest-room by that name is
situated, and where, during the pressing season from December to February, sometimes as much as thirty
tons were stored. This is a considerable weight, and to support it Mr Tardieu, around the turn of the century,
had the revolutionary idea of reinforcing the ceiling with steel girders. He got this idea from a visit to Paris,
where he admired the steel-structure of the new Eiffel Tower. The girders, interspersed with the more
traditional wooden beams, are still supporting the ceiling of the salon.



ITALIAN

Gli olivi erano bacchiati per fare cadere le olive mature che, raccolte in li riempisti, tipo di tessuti di iuta, erano messe nei grandi cesti di paglia e trasportate al mulino per carretta a b Là, erano messe negli stai, per misurare le olive al molte, chiamati Tinéon e portate al deposito che, oggi, è la camera Tabacchiera. Si può vedere due di questi secchi davanti alla camera Scuderia, là dove il mugnaio custodiva le sue mule.

In realtà, "Tabacchiera" è il nome dato al piccolo canale in legna per che le olive arrivavano nella grande macina. Si può vederlo nel salone che viene del soffitto al disopra del quale si trova la camera di questo nome, chiamata una volta houarie dove gli oléiculteurs depositavano via via il loro raccolto e dove, durante la stagione di stampa di Dicembre a Febbraio, c'erano circa trenta tonnellate di olive. Questo peso che è molto conseguente, per sopportarlo Mr Tardieu ebbe l'idea rivoluzionaria in 1900 di rinforzare il soffitto con le travi di acciaio. Concepì questa idea durante una visita a Parigi dove ammirò la costruzione della nuova Torre di Mr Eiffel.

[ Read more ]

The first pressing

The first pressing

The olives were ground into a kind of mash by the huge stone wheel. The mash was put into straw baskets
called Escourtins which were piled one on the top of the other under the presses in the salon. Originally
there were four of these, but one was taken down to make room for a door.

The first cold-pressed oil - the so-called Virgin oil - is of the finest quality. It ran out along runnels at the bottom of the presses and was siphoned from the taps into steel-buckets called Estagnons. (One of
these can be seen in the salon above the bar next to the wooden barrel). Of course, the more the Escourtins were pressed, the more of this top class oil came out: - but the crafty miller would tend to press rather less hard than he possibly might in order to have more left for his own use. His part of the deal was the third pressing - to which we shall come shortly - represent his profit, tried to press the least possible to preserve some oil for himself. The residue of Escourtins is called Grignon.



ITALIAN

Le olive erano stritolate dalla grande macina finché formano un tipo di zampa, stritolate non troppo affinché la pasta non spruzza tra gli Escourtins che erano messi nei cesti di paglia chiamata Escourtins. Erano accatastate dunque, una sull'altro, sotto le stampe del salone. All'origine c'erano quattro di cui un fu tolta per lasciare posto ad una porta.

Questa prima pressione produce l'olio Vergine che è di la migliore qualità. Colava lungo il canale sotto alle stampe ed era versata nei secchi di acciaio chiamato Estagnon, (si può vedere uno nel salone al disopra del bar vicino al barile in legna. Certamente, più il contenuto degli Escourtins aveva fretta, più c'era produzione di olio; ma il mugnaio astuto, visto che la terza stampa di cui parleremo qui di seguito, rappresenta il suo beneficio, tentava di premere il meno possibile per conservare dell'olio per sé. Il residuo degli Escourtins si chiama il Grignon.

[ Read more ]

The third operation

The Escourtins with what was left were put in a cellar called Infer. This is under the floor of the salon - the
trapdoor is still visible. A month or two later, the baskets were recovered, taken to the second mill (in the
present restaurant), empied into the grinder and thoroughly washed until the stones and other impurities
floated away along a small canal where the current restaurant kitchen is. The remaining pulp was then
further cleaned with a large fork turning it over and over. This fork is called Rabaillot.

The clean pulp was put into another Escourtin and pressed again to produce the third grade but till
palatable oil.. And this was what the miller finally kept for his profit, sending the last remains of the pulp in
a double-handled vessel called Brouquet to Marseille where it was turned into the famous “Savon de
Marseille”.



ITALIAN

Consisteva in lavare i grignons nel secondo mulino che si trova nel ristorante di oggi.. Si lavava i resti con una grande forchetta chiamata Rabaillot finché i noccioli scendono per un piccolo canale verso la presente cucina. Finalmente, le pelli erano messe nei nuovi Escourtins ed urgenti un'ultima volta, tutto il succo andava poi negli Infers, cantina che consisteva in raccogliere l'olio ne fece delle vasche, producendo l'olio che costituiva il beneficio del mugnaio.

Gli ultimi restano erano depositati nei barili in legna a due manici chiamati Brouquets ed inviati a Marsiglia per diventare il celebre "Sapone di Marsiglia."

[ Read more ]

    Moulin de la Camandoule :

    159 chemin de Notre Dame - 83440 Fayence | Phone : +33 (0) 4 94 76 00 84 - Fax : +33 (0) 4 94 76 10 40