The mill of the Camandoule in Fayence (Var)

1. History
The mill has existed, in one form or another, since at least the fifteenth century. In fact, the aqueduct which
brings the water of the Camandoule to the mill, probably dates from Roman times. - ancient Roman tiles and
other artefacts were found when the foundations for the present swimming-pool were excavated. The
Camandoule turned the large wheel which you will see behind the glass in the entrance to the restaurant,
and then flowed away under what is now the terrace into the river Camandre. The suffix “doule” incidentally
is a Provencal diminutive; Camandoule therefore means, literally, “Little Camandre”.

Originally the mill was part of the village of Fayence, then in the plain and an important agricultural centre
under the protection of a Monsignor who had his residence there. When the conquering Arabs came in the
16th century, the villagers moved themselves and all their goods and chattels and houses up the hill to
build the town we can see today. Obviously, however, a water-mill can’t be moved up a moutain and had to
stay where it was.

In 1834 it was rebuilt nore or less as it is now. The date is engraved on one of the large stone-blocks around
the presses in the salon. These blocks, all cut to the same standard pattern and size, were imported from
Tuscany and can be seen in every oil-mill from Menton to Sète.

The Moulin de la Camandoule was in use until 1946 when Mr Tardieu, the last miller, died: - incidentally by
then one of the richest Landowners of the Var. His two elderly spinster daughters had no wish to keep the
mill going, and torwards the end of 1954 the Moulin was bought by a prominent local family called Coste
who kept it running until the "great frost" of 1957 killed off most of the olive trees and there were, of course,
no olives to turn into oil. Mr Coste then planted the fields with melons, apple and cherry trees and became
a fruit farmer, selling excellent produce to the local community until he retired in 1966.

From this date, the mill fell briefly into disuse, passing to a Belgian couple two years later who restored the
Salon and Restaurant and turned the rooms into an eleven bedroom hotel. All the original 19th century
machinery is its proper place and it is said that the mill could be made to function again in less than a
fortnight

The present owner, Shirley Rilla, bought the moulin in 1986 and completed the restauration which is as
she says, an ongoing project never to be finished. Which is why, so that the soul and spirit of the moulin will never be lost, she has now passed the torch to Nicholas Torremocha and Stephane Sauner, two childhood friends and valued old employees





ITALIAN

Il mulino esiste, di un modo o di un altro, dal diciasettesimo secolo. L'acquedotto che conduceva le acque del Camandoule al mulino ha probabilmente le sue origini del tempo dei romano. Delle anziane tegole sono state scoperte durante la costruzione della piscina. L'acqua trascinava la grande ruota ad alba, che si può distinguere dietro la finestra all'entrata del ristorante, era evacuata da un canale sotto il terrazzo in seguito e si gettava in il camandre. Il parola "doule" è un diminutivo provenzale: Camandoule significa piccolo Camandre.

All'origine, questo vecchio mulino faceva probabilmente parte di Fayence sotto la protezione di un Monsignor che risiedeva nel villaggio. All'arrivo dei conquistatori arabi al sedicesimo secolo, gli abitanti si rifugiarono sulla collina dove costruirono il villaggio che si vede oggi: ma è evidente che non si poteva spostare un mulino.
Nel 1834, fu ricostruito più o meno nella sua struttura attuale. La data è incisa su una delle grandi pietre nel salone. Queste pietre, parimenti taglia, erano importate da Toscana ed utilizzate in tutti i mulini, di Mento a Sète.

Il Mulino del Camandoule ha prodotto dell'olio fino alla morte del suo proprietario, M. Tardieu, in 1920; era uno dei più ricchi proprietari del Var. I suoi sorelle - due signore vecchie - non portavano di interesse al Mulino, e lo lasciarono cadere in desuetudine.

Quando M. e Sig.ra. Jean-Marc Snyers l'acquistarono nel 1969, era quasi una rovina e, durante parecchi anni, lavorarono a restaurarlo come al tempo della sua gloria vecchia, prima di aprirlo come hotel-ristorante nel 1972. Tutte le macine e le stampe - in breve tutto il macchinario del diciannovesimo secolo - sono in posto, e si dice che il mulino potrebbe funzionare di nuovo nei dieci giorni, se lo si desiderasse.

Shirley & Wolf Rilla, gli attuali proprietari da marzo 1986, non l'hanno provato ancora!

Moulin de la Camandoule :

159 chemin de Notre Dame - 83440 Fayence | Phone : +33 (0) 4 94 76 00 84 - Fax : +33 (0) 4 94 76 10 40